Monday, September 15, 2008

::The Ketchup Bottle and The Last Night::

Ok, so today, I stayed after school to pick out dialogue for forensics club.
You're prolly thinking: 'What the...? I thought Forensics was like CSI and junk... Lauren likes CSI?'
If you were thinking that, then you are wrong. Although, Forensics is the study of sciences related to the Legal System, they do not have that sort of club at my school. Forensics at my school is Speech and Debate... I happen to be interested in speech. It's like a drama club [which i am still clueless if we even have one, or if it's exempted to the class] only you are only working on an individual or partner basis. So it's totes cool.
And it's completely cool if you didn't know that above. Everyone learns something everyday. Like today, I learned that there is a difference between skizophrenia and multiple personalities.
Anyways, back to Forensics Club. It was just the three of us after school: the teacher, Katie [my school/ choir buddy] and me. Katie and I were thinking of working in a pair or amongst ourselves. So the teacher started with Dramatic Duo [Forensics category] script snippets. The one we like the best is called The Ketchup Bottle by Tony Morinelli. It's about 2 friends who one constantly is picking on the other for stupid things they do [like picking off the label off a ketchup bottle... lol]. I'm the one that's not complaining and picks the label off. Excerptness time:

1. Do you have to do that?
2. Do what? [<--- Me]
1. What you're doing
2. What am I doing?
1. That!
2. What's that?
1. That! Do you have to scrape the label off of the ketchup bottle?
2. Why?
1. Because it's annoying that's why
2. It's just a label
1. That's not the point. It's annoying.
2. What's annoying about it?
1. Your fingers. And the way you stare!
2. Whadda you mean?
1. Your eyes glaze over like you're on drugs or something.
2. You're nuts, you know that?
[and much more...]

So, today when I came home from school, I saw this story my sister wrote and illustrated on the island. She wasn't home, so I read it. It's a real tear-jerker. [<--- sarcasm FYI] I think it may be based on a true story. It's about this girl named Lexi who plays soccer for 6 years. "Her age is seven."<-- Direct quote. I think the six years are after age 7, but it's hard to tell. Anyways, the story is Lexi's journey throughout soccer. At first, she didn't want to join, but after the 1st year, she loved it. And all of her friends were on her team. Life was good until next year: her friends were on different teams. And her ignorant parents bought her a football. But next year, her friends were all on the same team, and "she was very very very happy."
I mean you can't ask much from a 7 year old. I was just happy that this one has something of a plot. But what I really don't get is the title: The Last Night. Nothing happens during the night... the story has nothing to do with night. It's kinda weird. Actually my paragraph above is longer than the whole story...o.O.

No comments: